Our IP-related servicesG&A Glazberg, Applebaum & Co. is an all-inclusive IP law firm, attaching to all our clients' intellectual property related needs. Our services include:
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications;
- Filing for trademarks and designs in Israel and around the world;
- IP portfolio management and development;
- IP-related litigation in Israel, including copyright infringement, trade secret infringement, asserting registered rights and opposition registration of IP rights;
- Domain name disputes (UDRP, IL-DRP);
- Drafting and negotiating licensing agreements;
- Advising on authorized use of Open Source licensed programs and Creative Commons licensed works.
What is Intellectual Property?Intellectual property, or IP in short, is a field of law encompassing a variety of exclusive rights to specific types of creations of the mind. Intellectual property is the legal manner in which the products of human intellect are protected. Under intellectual property law, owners are granted exclusive rights to a wide range of intangible assets, such inventions, industrial designs, artwork, trade names and logos. names and logos. Among the intellectual property rights are copyright, patents, trademarks, designs, trade secrets and plant variety rights.
Intellectual property rights are territorial in nature. Thus, when dealing with an intellectual property that requires registration to arise, such as patents, trademarks and designs, separate registration is required in different territories.
Some intellectual property rights do not require to be registered in order to be protected according to Israeli law. Copyright arises upon fixation of the work of authorship. Trade secrets are protected against unauthorized use of the protected information. An owner of a trademark may be protected even though his mark is unregistered, such as the case with common law trademarks, well-known marks and passing off.
Why choose us?We, at G&A, Glazberg, Applebaum & Co., assist our clients in registering patents, trademarks and designs in Israel and around the world, as well as protecting their intellectual property assets in Israel when needed. Trademarks and designs in Israel and around the world, as well as protecting their intellectual property assets in Israel when needed. We help our clients identify the best available protection for their core intellectual property and strategically procure intellectual property assets, keeping in mind their budget constraints.
Our core-business is intellectual property. We are knowledgeable in the varied manners in which your non-tangible assets can be protected, and can advise you on the best course of action that would fit your budget.
Why Israel?Israel is a member of all major international treaties relating to intellectual property:
- The Paris Convention, providing the ability to claim priority from a foreign application within a designated time window (twelve months for patents; six months for trademarks and designs);
- The Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), providing the ability to defer selection of territories in which patent rights are pursued to thirty months;
- The Madrid Protocol, enabling an owner of a trademark or trademark application in a member state to pursue trademark registration in other member states in a unified manner;
- The Nice Agreement concerning the international classification of goods and services for the purpose of trademark registration;
- The Berne Convention including international protection against copyright infringement;
- The trade-related aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) agreement, setting a minimum standard of intellectual property protection in a member state of the World Trade Organization (WTO) aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) agreement, setting a minimum standard of intellectual property protection in a member state of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
Israeli law provides for statutory exemplary damages of up to 100,000 NIS (approximately 30,000 USD) per infringement for copyright infringement, moral rights infringement, misappropriation of a trade secret, and similar wrongdoings.
Furthermore, Israel provides protection for unregistered rights as well. An owner of a well-known trademark is protected in Israel against misuse of his trademark or a similar mark, although he is afforded with a lesser protection than an owner of a registered mark would be entitled to. In addition, in some cases, Israeli courts have ruled that in order to prevent unjust enrichment there may be an equitable cause of action when an unregistered right has been infringed upon.
Read more about Patents in Israel.
Read more about Trademarks in Israel .
Contact us to see how we can serve your intellectual property needs in Israel and around the world.